Why Do People Litter?
- No personal ownership of litter sites.
- Feeling that it is someone else's responsibility to keep areas clean.
- The casual and careless handling of waste materials.
- Lack of receptacles or containers to hold litter items.
- Other litter already at the site of disposal.
- Lack of pride in one's surroundings.
- Personal convenience.
Where Do People Litter?
- Special events (fairs, carnivals, concerts and meetings.
- Roadways and highways as well as on/off ramps and roadway median strips have
increasingly become the target of litter.
- High traffic and everyday locations are fast food businesses and deli's,
convenience stores, picnic grounds, park benches and other high pedestrian
- The entrance to a public building, an office, a retail establishment, a train
platform or bus stop.
- Sports gatherings (football, baseball, basketball, etc.)
How We Can Prevent Littering
- Identify littering sites in your community.
- Through you local officials maintain enough litter containers for the sites.
- Post non-littering signs and warnings.
- Enforce litter laws that are on the books or pass laws to keep you community
- Educate everyone through all means available to the consequences for them
personally, the community, state and ultimately the nation.
- Involve everyone in the anti-litter eforts.
Things You Can Do
- Volunteer on a litter pick up day.
- Adopt a road in Livingston Parish.
- Become a corporate sponsor.
- Keep your property litter free.
- Become a member of our organization.
- Contribute to Keep Livingston Beautiful.
- REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE!
Livingston Parish Facts
- Each person generates about 4.4 pounds of waste per day.
- Livingston Parish generates about 80 million pounds of waste per year.
- 50,000 pounds of solid waste is discarded in Livingston Parish each year.
- Louisiana spends about 15 million of our dollars a year cleaning up litter.
Change Starts With You
- Changes in your community's attitude towards litter starts with YOU.
- A little commitment on your part can go a long way and can impact others positively.
- Every action you make, even by simply making sure your yard is clean, helps.
- The sum of your positive actions can help your community stay clean and litter-free.